Saturday, November 1, 2008

long time

It has been a really long time since I've blogged. Kyle keeps asking me when I'm going to start blogging again, and I decided tonight is perfect since he's watching the game. Hopefully the Horns will be able to pull out a win.

I've been thinking this week about having a baby boy and raising him to be a man. What a huge responsibility. It really kind of scares me to think that Kyle and I are going to be in charge of making sure this precious little baby becomes a man. There are so many qualities I want him to have, so many things that I pray for him about. I want him to love Jesus. I can't make him do that, Kyle and I can only lead by example. I want him to be a person of integrity. I want him to care deeply for people. I also want him to be independent and confident. The list goes on and on.

And then, on top of those thoughts, there are the decisions we have to make about items that we need. Do we really need everything that we admire at Babies R Us? I know that those aren't all necessities. It's just hard to know--when you've never been a parent before--what all you'll need to take care of an infant. Some say you need a changing table, others tell us they never use one. What about those huge stroller systems. Do we need one of those, or is that just something that everybody gets? You should have seen Kyle and me trying to figure out how to work one of those things at Babies R Us. He laughed and said we looked like two monkeys exploring something new.

There's also advice. How do I really know which book is best? Is attachment parenting the way to go? What about natural childbirth? How do I know who to trust when it comes to advice about how to parent?

I think that this is just part of my personality. I constantly desire to be good at what I do. I'm one of those people who won't try things because I'm scared of failure or scared of not being good at something. I'm going to have quite a wake up call. This is going to be a learning experience for me. I can't expect to be the best at something that I've never done before. I think that in the end, Kyle and I will figure out what works for us. And he and I both have great sets of parents that are wonderful examples. Then on top of that, we have an amazing Father who is the ultimate example of a great parent. We'll just have to ultimately lean on that as our guide.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's gonna be okay. Just remember that everyone has advice but not all of it is good. Just try to listen to the people that have kids like you want yours to be. Why listen to the advice of people that have crummy kids.

Kristy said...

Yea Jessica! It's so good to have you blogging again! And, the great thing to remember is that a lot of people have a lot of things they'd be willing to share! We're one of those people - so you are always welcome to come shopping (for free)in my son's room! :) You'll also see that all babies are different - so what works for one, might not for another. . .or what one enjoys (Mackenzi LOVED to swing) other's don't (Levi doesn't like to swing at all!) Don't get overwhelmed. . .just know that the stores are still opened after the baby comes, and you can always get what you need as you know you need it.