Tuesday, April 15, 2008

only me

Sometimes I think that my problems get so big that they are all that I can see. I try to listen and help others. I try to see others' perspectives, but I always end up focusing on myself. I don't like that. It shouldn't be all about me.

Ryan and Kelli Bishop, some dear friends of ours, just got back from a mission trip to Africa. I was able to talk to Kelli on the phone yesterday, and she told me a little about what went on. I was reminded through our conversation how blessed I truly am--not just to live in America--but to have a house, food on the table and in the fridge, clean water, and a husband who loves me. The list of blessings could go on for days. I should even be thankful that Kyle and I were able to write the check to pay the IRS. Isn't it great that God has blessed us so much that we are able to write a check to the government? I know that sounds sarcastic, but I don't mean it to be. God has richly blessed us.

I guess that sometimes God gives me a little reminder to get me out of the muck and mire. That's what His Word says, right? He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet upon a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.

I want to live like Jesus. I want to imitate Him. Instead of seeing only my problems and my issues, I want to be able to see things the way that He sees them. I read Ephesians 5:1-2 today. The very first part of those verses says to be imitators of God. I know that He did not intend for me to live life looking only at myself. I know that He wants me to look at others and their needs. I know that He wants me to love others more than myself. That is so very hard to do sometimes, especially when I feel like my muck and mire is justified.

But, even my muck and mire is better than what I deserve. I have a God that loves me. The creator of the universe, the conductor of the breezes and winds, the painter of the sunsets, the architect of the mountains and valleys chooses to have a relationship with me. That is so much more than what I deserve. That is all I need. He sustains me.

2 comments:

Waiting said...

You show me what Jesus is like all the time. I love you- and I am in love with you still- after all of these years- can you believe it? 5 years! And yes, I really am still in love with you! I love Christ in you.

Kelli said...

Jessica, I love this post because I can totally relate. Blessings abound in my life, and yet all too often I find myself wallowing in my own self pity. The frustrating thing is that I recognize it for what it is and yet I continue to do it. I guess that's how Paul felt.