Saturday, July 26, 2008

offended

This morning I was doing my Bible study, and I read the passage Matthew 11:1-19. This is where John the Baptist sends some of his disciples (he's in prison) to ask Jesus if he really is the Son of God, the one who was prophesied about. Verse six specifically caught my attention during this study. I was reading NIV, but ESV has a good version of this verse, too. It says, "And blessed is the one who is not offended by me." My Bible study talked about the various meanings of the Greek word for offended. The one that applies to this verse is "to cause a person to begin to distrust and desert one whom he ought to trust and obey."

Okay, that first paragraph was really wordy, but now I'm just going to explain why that's so cool to me. I'm going to go through hard and difficult times--times that challenge my faith. This verse says blessed is the one that goes through those faith-challenging times and still continues to believe. That was pretty awesome for me to read today. God's not always going to answer my prayers the way that I want him to. Sometimes he says yes, and sometimes he says no. But through it all, I can continue to have faith in the one who sees the big picture, the one who sees my life-mission.

No comments: