Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Being Healthy

Last night when Kyle was saying our blessing over our food, he prayed that God would help us be more healthy, physically and spiritually. That spiritual part surprised me, but it shouldn't have.

Every new year most people make New Year's resolutions. I don't know the exact statistics, but I'm sure an abundance of people decide that this will be the year that they start working out or lose weight. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's a bad thing. That's a great thing. I'm trying to get back on track myself. But in the midst of trying to eat better and work out more, I sometimes forget that my spiritual health is just as important.

On New Year's Eve Kyle and I played cards with my parents. He asked everyone if they had any goals for 2008. I said I wanted to increase my vocabulary (that's such a dorky teachery thing to say). My mom wants to read her Bible more. Kyle said he wanted to memorize more Scripture. Kyle and I actually started that night, but haven't really worked on it together since. We decided to start with Psalm 34. Our verse that we chose as the purpose for our marriage is Psalm 34:3, so we decided the rest of the chapter might be a great place to start.

It honestly frustrates me that I'm not good at focusing my attention on many things. I want to be a great wife, I want to eat healthy, I want to exercise, I want to be a great teacher, and so many more things. It's like I have life focus ADD. I think that if I just made it my goal each and every day to glorify God, then my other priorities would take shape.

Even if I was in the best shape of my life and eating right, but I wasn't glorifying God, I wouldn't be a healthy person. This year I do want to be healthy. I want to be an active individual who eats right. But I also want to be someone who is obviously loving God and glorifying Him. That's a true sign of health.

No comments: